~

"To be strong in the end, you must fight from the beginning."

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Asking For Help

I've finally reached a breaking point...

It's been a bit of a whirlwind these past few months since moving overseas for school and I'm starting to feel the affects now more than ever. I'm at that point in the semester when all I can think about are deadlines, assignments and finding enough hours in the day to finish everything I need to. My health has been unintentionally placed on the back burner. I've not maintained a balanced sleep schedule and I often find myself studying into the wee hours of the morning. I get stressed out when my blood sugars are out of range and although I know I can't control everything, I still feel disappointed in myself. Call it a control complex. 

In hindsight, I should have made an appointment to see a GP weeks ago. As a student with type 1, I should really be keeping tabs on their health more than ever, but I often let it take a back seat to my studies. It's taken up until now, when I'm just emotionally and physically exhausted, to actually do something about it. Although it's still nerve wracking, I feel a sense of relief about the fact that I'm seeing a doctor as well as an academic counsellor next week. I don't know what they are going to say, but I'm hoping that I will be able to figure out where my problems areas are and make some much needed changes. 

Diabetes is already a delicate balance, and the added stress of university definitely doesn't help. I know I don't have the same control over my health the way I used to, but I feel better knowing that I'm being pro-active about changing that. My advice to anyone who may be experiencing something similar, would just be to reach out. Be it a doctor/ counsellor/ friend/ family member/ etc., it may help you to gain a new perspective and find direction.

Positive vibes my friends! xx

-Hanna


No comments:

Post a Comment