~

"To be strong in the end, you must fight from the beginning."

Sunday, June 24, 2012

It Just Hit Me

This weekend it hit me just like that. I have type 1 diabetes. I wasn't really doubting my disease beforehand but I never really actually sat down and thought about the fact that I have a life changing condition. I guess it was something to do with the fact that by the time I got out of the hospital two months ago, I felt completely normal again. I felt like I did before I was sick and nothing felt different. But these past couple weeks with the stress of finals, piano examinations, work, my drivers test coming up, and just plain teen angst (I will admit I do suffer from that one haha) my blood sugars have been going a little bit out of whack. Now I'm pretty good about counting my carbs, taking my insulin on time etc. But I've realized that it's way more than that. It is a constant juggling act of  food, insulin, stress, exercise, activity, even horror movies set them off because your heart starts racing. I came to terms with diabetes as soon as I found out I had it, but I didn't quite understand how it's kind of an "allover" disease. I am learning everyday though.

No comments:

Post a Comment